Sunday, April 6, 2008

Olympic Trials Day 2 & 3 - Beijing Bound without a Bow...

I’ll be in China, just not the way that I pictured being there. The second and third day of the Olympic Trials didn’t exactly go the way that I had hoped or planned. In fact, in my five year archery career, I have never shot with such an out of body experience as I did during this tournament. It was as though my mind was in one place (the right place) and my body was in another (on Mars).

I thought all the right things; I didn’t react to bad shots. I kept a smile on my face and I even laughed off a couple of misses. Outwardly and inwardly, I did my best to show and feel that I wasn’t upset about how miserably this tournament was going down.

The one light at the end of the tunnel for me was that on the second day of the trials, I received an email saying that I had been hired by Infostrada Sports to work as a reporter during the Olympic Games in Beijing. As many of you know, I love the Olympics and that is why I did archery in the first place. For most of the people who make the team this summer, that sentiment is the opposite, they love archery and the Olympics is just a bonus.

I don’t doubt that is one of the biggest lessons that I have learned from this whole experience. Ironically, when I asked my dad for career advice growing up, he would always say, "Find something you love and figure out how to make money doing it." So where does that leave me now? Well for starters, I’m going to hang up the bow for the rest of the summer and spend some time trying to figure out what my next move is.

Regardless of what I end up doing, if you are reading this, you have probably been praying for me and encouraging me and/or even donating money to me over the years. It is really important to me that you know just how much I appreciate all of the support! You have made a difference in my life and I am so thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment