Thursday, April 10, 2008

What next? Surfing & Sudan

Many people have been emailing and calling the past few days with words of support and love. I am so thankful that other people care so much about what I am doing. Ironically, one of the emails I got from a very dear friend of mine pointed out something that is becoming clearer as the fog from the past week is starting to burn off.

Most people who know me well, know that there was only one reason I got into archery and that was to go to the Olympics. It is fair to say, that I have loved the pursuit of the Olympics and the purpose that my life felt in that pursuit more than the actual sport of archery itself. When I realized that rowing, a sport that I loved, wasn’t going to be my vehicle to the games, I tried to find another one. Unfortunately in that transfer, I left behind the key ingredient to success, the love of the sport.

Immediately after I broke my bow down on Friday following the conclusion of the Olympic Trials, I was on the web looking into other Olympic sports that I could still try and pick up... 10m air pistol, some kind of track and field event, anything... and then I stopped. I thought, "Holy crap," immediately it hit me, it didn’t matter if I switched sports, if I didn’t love what I was doing, it would never work. Archery, unfortunately for me, was just a means to an end and that is why it didn’t work.

So, what next? Well, I guess the first thing to do is try and figure out what I love to do, try different things, leave archery for awhile and see if I miss it. Two of my closest friends, independently of each other told me write out a list of things I wanted to do and try in my life. The past 5 years, everything has been on hold. I’ve missed weddings, graduations, vacations, skiing, rowing, etc.

I decided to do something completely out of character, I went surfing. I have never surfed in my life... in fact, to be honest, I’ve never really liked salt water and the way it gets in your mouth and eyes. But, I decided that I would try it and signed myself up for Surf Diva school (www.surfdiva.com). It rocked! Wearing a wet suit made all the difference in the world as far as me not being bothered by the salt water. I actually got up on my very first try! It was so cool, the water moves so quickly under you. For two straight hours on both Saturday and Sunday, I smiled non stop - even when I wiped out!

I also started working full time... now to be honest, I was working 40-60 hour weeks before but it was over 7 days not 5. It was strange to be sitting in my office realizing that I was there for the next 8 hours. What normally took me a whole week to do, I was able to get done in two days. I actually had to pace myself and take required state law breaks!

Despite the surfing and working and even trying outrigger canoe, a piece of the puzzle is still missing. The purpose that I felt in training for the Olympics is now void. I need to fill it with something... but this time, maybe not a personal quest so much as contributing to make the world a better place. That is where Sudan comes into play.

A while back, Joey Cheek, a three time Olympic medalist in speed skating, emailed me and asked me to be a part of Team Darfur (www.teamdarfur.org). I’m so impressed with what Joey has done with his fame, he has a true heart for making a difference in the world. The same day that I was knocked out of the Olympic trials, I received a packet with a book called Not on Our Watch: The Mission to End Genocide in Darfur and Beyond by Don Cheadle and John Prendergast.

As I’ve begun to read it, I feel convicted that this is something I can put time into and feel a sense of purpose again. In the coming weeks, I will share with you my thoughts on reading the book. I would encourage you to purchase it and read it along with me and have an open discussion with me by leaving comments in my blogs. One thing that the book has already taught me is that one of the most powerful things you can do to stop genocide is to stop turning a blind eye to it. I look forward to your thoughts on the issue!

Links:

What you can do: http://www.teamdarfur.org/takeaction

Purchase the book: http://www.amazon.com/Not-Our-Watch-Mission-Genocide/dp/1401303358/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207819216&sr=8-1

Educate yourself: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/08/google.refugees.ap/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment