Thursday, April 3, 2008

Olympic Trials Day 1

Success depends not on whether you win or lose, but on how you play the game. I always thought people who said that had never won anything. I don’t like losing and I don’t like shooting below my potential but than again, who does? I shot some really good arrows today. I had some magical shots that went straight from my bow into the 10 ring. At the same time, I found myself just a little too wound up to feel comfortable the whole day and it wasn’t until I put all my energy into calming down that I was able to start shooting well.

Despite finishing 15th in the qualification round, I only dropped from 7th to 9th due to the point carry over from the 1st Olympic trials. During match play, I struggled to get the shots off and lost my first two matches, 93 to 99 against Kendra Harvey and 88 to 99 against Nicole Rasor. In my third match though, I turned a corner and won my match against Karen Scovatto, 101 to 99. My last match was against Khatuna Lorig, I lost 99 to 107.

One thing that took me a while to realize was just how wound up I really was on the inside. I didn’t feel tense and I certainly wasn’t showing it, but it wasn’t until I told myself to get really calm that I actually started shooting well. I now have something to take into tomorrow that will be very helpful. I still have 11 matches until they make the top 8 cut, if I just do my best I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. No matter what I know God’s got my back, my best interests in mind. As it says in the Bible, if God is with you, who can be against you?

No comments:

Post a Comment